Many people like to bottle up their feelings inside of them, but this is never the best solution. Over time, this can create high levels of stress and can definitely affect any decision-making processes down the road. This type of situation can be a serious problem in any relationship and can often lead to resentment, or even a breakup. Why is it important for two people who love each other to take action sooner, rather than later, if they are encountering any significant problems?
Why Things Go Wrong
Relationship counselling can certainly work, but it is largely dependent on the motivation of the two individuals in question. The sooner that the process is started, the better, as otherwise individual positions can become entrenched, and it can be very difficult to unravel them.
It's unfortunate that relationship counselling may be a "last resort" effort by one or other of the parties. Sometimes, they will even treat it as a way of announcing to the other party that it's all over!
Five Key Points to Remember
- Often, disagreements can build up over trivial issues and when left to fester can really get out of hand. It is important for both individuals to understand that relationships will never be all sweetness and light and are bound to include their ups and downs.
- Both parties should try to foster a relaxed atmosphere when they are together and make sure that they communicate properly. Time should be set aside just for this purpose and sitting down together over an evening meal is a perfect place to do this.
- One person must support the other's interests and passions and must respect their right to enjoy their own hobbies and interests. If one has some personal goals, the other should be supportive.
- Conflicts will come up. The key is to resolve them carefully and skilfully, so that no resentment is left on either side. If the subject is simply avoided, it's just going to get worse.
- Never issue an ultimatum in an attempt to try to clear up some kind of disagreement. It's good to have open ended dialogue and to get clarification if any particular points are unclear. Avoid the temptation to butt in and say things that may be regretted later.
There's No Time like the Present
If your troubles have been going on for some time, now is the best moment to get in touch with a relationship coach. This could be the start of a much better future for you both.